Editor’s Letter – ELLE ACCESSORIES SPRING/SUMMER 2013




       In her will, my grandmother, who lived to be 97, determined the fate of every single bit of jewelry she owned and specified exactly which of her five granddaughters would receive each piece. I am sure she made each of us feel we were somehow special, as she did me one night, when she took me aside and asked conspiratorially which of her items were my favorites, as she wanted to make sure id eventually receive them. She’d lived a good, long life, and along the way collected many fine things commemorating important occasions, life-changing journeys, and expressions of love from my grand-father and the rest of our family. I told her the only thing I really wanted was her gold charm bracelet, noisy as Christmas bells – filled with one-of-a-kind charms from all over the world, and one to mark the birth of each of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. A family’s history told on one delicate gold chain. Despite the obvious nostalgia contained therein, I do think my grandmother had a very modern approach to putting together a collection (And what a collection! She actually lived through the deco period, prewar, postwars, pop, mod, ’70s – she was there!) Modern because she bought fine jewelry for herself and wasn’t precious about wearing it, rotating pieces in and out on an almost daily basis. In this issue we capture that spirit with some of fashion’s fresh new runway faces sporting the most beautiful and of-the-moment fine jewelry out there, in an approach that Editor-at-Large Carmen Borgonovo portrays as a kind of straightforward, pared-down elegance worn with nonchalance and ease. Carmen, along with Creative Director Joe Zee and Deputy Editor Maggie Bullock, and under the design-direction of Paul Ritter, created this issue of ELLE ACCESSORIES with just that in mind- a determination to show accessories as the beautiful, sometimes whimsical, usually luxurious, often surprising (did you know that bling is back? Have you picked out your midheel yet?) pieces that – more than anything else you wear – express who you are. We are also happy to bring back the very popular ELLE Index, an A to Z guide to nearly every collection out there, with nearly 1,200 items to reflect every one of your identities. For the record, I got the bracelet. I guess she loved me best.
Roberta-Meyers
elle_acc_mar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ELLE Spring Fashion now avaiable.

Valentine's Day is Almost Here!

EMOZIONI by Hot Diamonds